Injury Management Plan
A common misunderstanding among employers is that purchasing Workers Compensation Insurance is the start and end of their obligations under the Policy. They have the idea that either the Insurance Company or perhaps the Insurance Broker will administer and manage any claims that may arise.
Often a claim is lodged in respect of a workers injury and the Insured does nothing in the way of managing the claim.
At some later date - often many months later or even a year later, the employer begins to enquire with the Insurer when will the substantial increase of the premium cost begin to reduce or return back to what it was before.
It comes as a rude shock for the employer to learn that the matter may still have years to run before it comes to Court.
We would urge you that if you have not already put in place an Injury management Plan that ensures the following -- you are paying out far more than would be the case if you had been in full control of the claim from Day One:
- Employer to take control of administrative management of the injury claim from – Day One;
- Employer to have in place a Return to Work as soon as possible Program;
- Employer to establish a close link with the injured worker from Day One;
- Employer to provide all necessary assistance to the injured worker as necessary;
- Employer to plan for and encourage the injured worker back to work (not necessarily normal duties) as soon as possible.
- Employer to establish and monitor the input of all Medical Doctors, Specialists and Physiotherapists –in order to ensure close co-operation from all parties in returning the injured worker back to normal duties as soon as possible;
- Employer closely monitors all medical and other costs in order to ensure cost outgoings are minimised and terminated - as soon as possible.
- Employer ensures the Insurer reduces the Workers Compensation claim cost estimates - downward as soon as possible.
The above few identified steps are the bare minimum. Can we assist you develop a better Injury Management Plan for your business?